Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
I Agree With Stephen And Harv

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Paul R. Martin on October 16, 2001 17:39:04 UTC

Hi everyone,

I read something by Freeman Dyson many years ago that convinced me that not only is the colonization of space the right thing to do, but that we are currently on an inexorable path toward that objective. In fact, in Dyson's book (the title of which I have regrettably forgotten) he claims that our current rate of colonization, in terms of the diameter of the Earth-centered sphere which has been colonized so far, is something like half light speed.

Oh, I know, it doesn't seem that way right now, but Dyson explained that it is merely a short-term aberration and that as the millennium progresses, we will be right on track.

The awesome problems that Dick mentioned, such as coming to an understanding of the interconnectedness and interdependencies of life, will be offset by the increasingly steep learning curve provided to us by science.

I'm excited about it. I haven't been there myself yet, but who knows? If science extends our lifespans by a few hundred years before I die, which it looks like they might do, I might just be able to get in on the action.

Warm regards,

Paul

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins