Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
The Nature Of The Problem.

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Richard D. Stafford, Ph.D. on October 11, 2001 16:34:02 UTC

Harv,

I know that. I was just pushing you on this overwhelming thing you have for classification. You seem to believe that understanding constitutes getting everything classified. Maybe you are right, I just have a different procedure for achieving that classification.

And, I have considerable patience; however, once I am convinced that a path is futile, I don't tend to spend a lot of time with it. My problem was not with the labeling at all. It was the realization that you were unable to work with the abstract nature of my attack. I don't think you really understand that problem because, if you did, you wouldn't have it.

You are a very intelligent person but you are very stuck on the idea that the authorities are the source of understanding. Definition is a very important issue here. Clearly definition itself is the central problem of most communication. You continually want to fall back on conventional definitions. This is direct dependence on authority. All those dictionaries were written by people. How did they come to know the definitions? If you fail to recognize the problem that they were guessing (on the most probable meaning) based on what they had heard, you miss the whole issue. A rational person must take the position that the decision as to what these words mean must be delayed until all the information is in; otherwise, you are very apt to make an erroneous guess.

The problem is fundamental and all pervasive. It has not been solved because it cannot be solved except via an abstract attack. Mathematics is the name of the field of abstract logic. Only a mathematical attack is capable of delaying the establishment of meaning until after the problem is solved. The solution of the problem lies in the realization that anything communicable can be represented by a set of numbers (think of serial numbers for concepts, ideas, words and whatever can be used for communication). The true meaning of these numbers (essentially the correct relationships between them) can only be established after the problem has been solved: i.e., reality is an unknown, something to be solved for.

Until you can comprehend the nature of that problem, you cannot follow what I have done.

Have fun -- Dick

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins