Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Find Another Straw Man, Alan

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Luis Hamburgh on October 3, 2001 23:14:27 UTC

***Disclaimer***
As an agnostic, I recognize the limits of my subjective experience. I’m perfectly capable of functioning from a tentative understanding of reality. I do not try to convince myself (or others) that I can see beyond my subjective limitations.

Harv,

I think I just need to repeat my stance more, as you do not yet seem to grasp it. Maybe repetition is the key...

>>>"What if you found a logical error in my argument that I was accepting a false statement as true or a true statement as false?">>"How can you consider solipsism absurd if you treat the assumption that what we see is real as only *per se* correct?">"Do you work with the concept of a chair as tentative?">"If you lack full conviction of the existence of an electron then how do you arrive at conviction of an external reality? Is it that you can experience certain objects more directly than an electron? Do you elevate your sense impressions of direct experiences to a higher level than scientific discoveries which may have much more statistical accuracy than your senses?">"What if I said strings exist and you asked me to define a string and all I did was scratch my head? Why accept my claim when I have not given you solid justification for the existence of my proposed entity?">"But, what makes you so sure that an objective truth exists? How does this appeal to realism of truth win you over?">"You need to establish your position with an exact rendering on how you can commit to an ontological rendering of scientific theories and just what kind of ontological commitment that is (including how you justify that commitment)."

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins