Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
I Have Often Struggled With This

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Mario Dovalina on September 30, 2001 07:41:28 UTC

"If I were to
walk into Stormy's house and attempt to kill him,
would he stop me? Why, yes he would. Stormy would resist because HIS life MATTERS to HIM. Does it
matter to me? NO. I want to kill him."

Okay, hold on one moment while I lock my door and get a gun........

All right, I'm back. I think your argument that people fundamentally don't care about each other is a little cynical, even by my standards. For example, take a poll of people (Heck, even a poll of complete atheists) and ask them if they would give up their lives if in return the terrorist bombing in New York wouldn't have happened. I think you would find that a large number of people would consider the lives of those people more important than their own.

I am afraid of death, but that does not make me devalue life. I think it forces me to enjoy it more. Even if I don't think I'll skip off to Sugarcandy Mountain when I die, and even if 200 years from now no one will know or care about my existence, that is not reason enough for me to despair. And, more importantly, my desire for an afterlife should never transform into a belief of one.

"He , nor I can prove a negative. ( as dictated by logic ) So why should ANY of us in
this forum try to do so. We would have better
luck stopping time."

The issue, as I see it, is one of the degree of certitude. "I exist" is a statement more likely to be true than "God exists." True? I have definitive proof for the existence of my consciousness, but not of God's. So, while it may not be possible to prove a negative, we can whittle away at it until it becomes apparent that it can be discarded as a rational theory.

Here's a quote/poem that I think sums up my view on the meaning of life:

I sit in my cubicle.

Here on the motherworld.

When I die, they will put my body in a box,

and dispose of it in the cold ground.

And in all the million ages to come,

I will never breathe

or love

or twitch

again.

So would you run and play with me here among the teeming mass of humanity?

The Universe has spared us this moment.

-Anonymous

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins