Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Reconciling Contradictions

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Mario Dovalina on September 28, 2001 22:05:20 UTC

Now watch as I stumble blindly through unfamiliar territory:

You said:

"The moment that a timeless entity 'felt' something they would be 'in time' and this would make this sentient being a creature of the universe instead of the other way around."

Then you said:

"I advocate an aware God (or an aware divine order). That is, whatever actions that divine order does would have to consider actions that it has taken or will take at a minor or higher level."

How do you hold both opinions? A causal process does not indicate decision making.

"My understanding is the presentism has problems. For example, what actually exists is only the present, but SR casts serious doubts on the concept of an objective and universal 'now'.

True, at least from a theoretical position. I find time nearly impossible to understand, personally. If the past and future have real identities, where are they? (Bad question, I know.) Also, would this suggest an infinite amount of energy in the..... ummm..... multiverse, since there is an infinite amount of points on a timeline?

"The point behind my suggestion of a divine order is that this if-thenism is deciding upon conscious and intelligent level constructs. This requires an if-then structure which is able to understand thoughts, intents, etc."

Why must understanding be an issue? A computer program, for instance, "directs" the flow of information through its hardware, but there is no consciousness involved. It is all self-sustaining. I don't understand how you advocate infinite mathematical order, but with the stipulation that it be self-aware.

"Why put an unnatural stop where it does not belong? Again, in my view either the universe is mathematical from the basic points of existence to the very highest levels of spacetime organization, or it is not mathematical at all."

Damn straight. That's what I've been saying.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins