Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
It Has Done Both...

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Robert Garfinkle on September 22, 2001 16:13:35 UTC

You are correct. The statement you iterate will always be true and hold water.

It's, obviously, up to us, as to what we do with our abilities. We can do good, or we can do bad.

Taking the perspective road.

"From our perspective" Wow, what a tool, perspective. Good in one's eyes is not good in anothers. Same with bad.

We look at the Taliban (oh how I so much do not want to capitalize their name, but then what's in a name? Right!) and bin laden as being evil, and cruel. To us, their destruction would be good. (I, obviously, hold this perspective - Go George!)

The taliban and bin laden (yeah I did it - they do not deserve proper naming) will look at their destruction as good at all (Of course who would?).

From their perspective, no matter how bent their thinking is, they think they are creating perfect race or whatever. They think they are doing good.
I say Yuk... No No No.

So perspective is very important, but its crude in a way.

Some of us want a perfect world. That perfect world includes all natural death of anything (I would imagine). It means that no one would ever piss in someone else's cornflakes. (PS. not part of trickle down economics). Well unfortunately we know that perfection cannot be reached, but we can continue reaching for it.

We behold intelligence, again from our perspective, and I would imagine that the majority of us wish to do good with it.

Some of us, like even in this forum, thats a good example of perspective and the good doer. Yes?

From one side, the religious side, we say to the scientific community, hey you, "with love", all ya gotta do is follow the Lord's word. Carry on his name and the good he has to spread, and you will do fine. Science, and it's studies/methods can only be taken so far, the Lord will lead us if we follow. GOD bless an all that sorta thing.

From the other side, We scientists say, hey you religious people, wake up, smell the coffee (which by the way is made up of four parts caffeine, and two parts... etc.), keep counting your quarks, bosons, etc. And pay attention to the math, and that will tell all.

Well people, not pitting one against the other, we all do it for the sake of everyone's good. Don't we? Yes.

But again, that's from our perspective...

Peace

Robert

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins