Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
What Did Heinz Pagels Mean?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Alan on September 21, 2001 01:00:43 UTC

In the Book, edited by Timothy Ferris: "The World Treasury Of Physics, Astronomy, and Mathematics"; there are two chapters from physicist Heinz Pagels' book "The Cosmic Code".

In considering some of the implications of quantum uncertainty, he writes "an important warning" that the Heisenberg uncertainty relation does not apply to a single measurement on a single particle; but is a statement about a statistical average over lots of measurements of position and momenta. It only has meaning if you repeat measurements. Electrons are not fuzzy and do not lack objectivity. (Page 101).

So I tried to reconcile what he said, and what Ditchburn says, and what you say, in the post about uncertainty and common sense. What's the answer?

I think what you say tallies with the analogy I used in the other post, of a music-momentum vesus music-position trade-off for music excerpts (size
of hydrogen atom corresponds to size of music excerpt).

Mapping this into pattern-match language; a wave is a variation of a standing wave (or collection of superposed standing waves); a wave is a constant MATCH between two passing 'musical chairs' games. The 'join the dots' of the temporary locality of the wave is a snapshot of the wave as itself being a 'musical chairs' game linking the other two games.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins