Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
I Don't Know How You Can Say That

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Mario Dovalina on September 14, 2001 01:15:24 UTC

Hi, Rob. Sorry if this post will offend you, and I'm pretty sure it will, but I feel the need to get some things off my chest and ramble a little bit, and I can only do that by being frank.

You justify God's complete inaction in all events throughout history by saying "He doesn't want to do anything?" No event, no matter how insignificant, occurs by any event not explainable by a cause. Once the universe began, it all became self-supporting: there is no room for God except as a watchmaker: he made it and let it go on its own outside of ANY intervention. But I find this implausible as well.

"I would imagine that GOD will not destroy because it does not make sense to destroy what one has created. Then that would be self defeating, and reverses the purpose/reason of creation. That reason being the creation of life through the eyes of love."

God will not destroy? You mean like when 90% of Earth's life was destroyed by a meteor in the Permian age? You mean when most dominant life forms on Earth was destroyed by the K-T meteor? You mean when any act of mass destruction occurs independent of human involvement? Not to mention the inevitable heat-death our universe will go through, rendering any form of life or even complex particles impossible. If God really does not want to destroy his creations, you don't think that he would try to PREVENT the frequent catastrophies that beset our planet?

There is an interesting mental process that people utilize to deal with the seeming indifference of the universe: if something good happens, they say "God is good." If something bad happens, they say either "The Lord works in mysterious ways" or "God is testing us" or "God is punishing us." Don't you think this is a little convenient?

I remember hearing a story where a transport helicopter in Vietnam was riddled with rounds from enemy machine guns. The helicopter limped away and made it to a military hospital. Everyone in the aircraft was hit and suffered critical wounds and most died, except for one, whose combat knife deflected the bullet, resulting in a minor bruise.

His family claimed he was blessed by God. When people say things like this, I say "So, what, then, the dozens who died were cursed by God? Aren't you applying a double standard? Bad things are a result of bad luck, but good things are a result of divine intervention?"

I remember reading a satirical article by The Onion, where a basketball star "Blamed God for defeat." This is pretty accurate. How often do we see people thanking God for triumph or success? And how often do people blame God for failure? Doesn't this strike you as strange? If God really was an active part of our lives, you would expect less tragedy.

And if God does exist, and he IS loving, but he does not act on that love and allows every act by life to go either unrewarded or unpunished except by fellow man, then his love is not worth a bucket of swill.

You claim that God loves us and will not destroy his creations, but that is not true. From the moment the universe was created, it was destined to destruction. From the moment the Earth was formed, it was destined to dispersion. From the moment we were born, we were destined to death.

Where do you see room for a loving God? There is no inherent morality to the universe. Evil and good men prosper equally. If God favored good over evil, and belief over atheism, don't you think the evidence would support this? Don't you think believers would live longer, would have prayers answered, and would avoid catastrophies? Don't you think evil, heartless people would never rise to power?

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins