Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
The World Is Decrepid Cesspool Of Hate And Despair

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by S.H. Le on October 2, 1999 00:36:20 UTC

: I agree with you on your point that the only POSSIBLE way nations could work together is if we were confronted with some major catastrophe like a giant meteor. Do I think it's possible? Sure. Do I think it's plausable? No. In the event of such a major event, although world leaders would probably try to stop the meteor, all the normal citizens would most certainly revert to the law of the animal kingdom: everybody for themselves. This is the one thing I thought was missing from Armaggedom. Where's all the rioting? Furthermore, even if humans were capable of such a feat, it would still be in the name of self interest. It's a catch 22, we're hopelessly selfish either way. And even if this world order you speak of were possible, it's doubtful that this system would be much better than what we have now. Corruption always seems to seep its way through the cracks of any utopia. Communist Russia turned out to be a marxist utopian's nightmare. It was essentially one central capitalist controling the means of production.

If you've read Lord of the Flies, you'll find a particularly sad portrait of humans. Violence, the need for domination and power over others is everpresent in humans. Even in children, we notice the beginings of war in those little playground fights, children taking sides. There's so much potential that lies in humanity, that's inevitably wasted by the worst of us. But alas, it matters not how good the best of us are, it takes only a few to bring us all down. We're free to think, I drink to that, but theres not much else to drink to.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins