Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Ooops!

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Harvey on September 13, 2001 14:17:39 UTC

Hi Aurino,

I am so blinded by the desire to communicate how a similar disaster could shake our civilization to the foundation (with terrorist holding nuclear weapons and all) that I lost sight of the more pressing issue as you mentioned.

From my perspective I don't see God as a person, so I don't look upon his actions or non-actions as I would expect of a person. If God is a person (like us), then he has certainly made a mess of the world. Or, as Woody Allen has said, the best you can say of him is that he is an underachiever.

Rather, God is still very much GOD, but God works through process to achieve the ends of peace, harmony, joy, etc. Those things have a certain order to them and before you can achieve them, like it or not, we have to go through hell first. That is, we have to through a critical point before we can phase transition to them.

This is, I think, the main theology of Judeo-Christianity (I'm sorry I can't phrase this in other religions through my ignorance on their beliefs in this particular area). If you look at Jewish and Christian theology God seeks patience on the part of the believer while the 'world falls apart'. This 'falling apart' occurs in stages with the final end, or the 'end times', ending in quite a mess.

I believe that there is a horrible horrible time that will come upon humanity. The reason is that it is necessitated by the 'way things are'. As water needs to boil before it can phase transition into gas, humans will need to go through a critical period before we can phase transition to something else.

I strongly suspect that evolutionary science will find that phase transitions (second order) will be found to be the main cause of the evolutionary process. These phase transitions require spontaneous symmetry breaking (yes, the same phase transition stuff that the laws of physics are *known* to have emerged), and this is I strongly believe determined specifically by God's will. God acts in phase transitions at their critical level, and systems approach it.

Now, this is not to say that Tuesday was a result of us getting close to this 'phase transition'. However, we live in a system where this is happening (i.e., I believe that) and it takes time. During that time we can build a relationship with God such that God will act in our lives in a manner that as much as possible conforms to his will. As Jesus said "let thy will be done". We can only accept the will of God while praying ever so fervently that we (including all of humanity) are protected as much as possible while the world evolves according to its destiny.

I know that this is not something that a lot of people will think is possible, but I believe all of this to be the case. God speed the day when we are finally beyond the phase transition of this earthly form with the advent of the resurrection.

Warm regards, Harv

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins