Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
World Peace (to Philosofir)

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by S.H. Le on October 1, 1999 03:47:45 UTC

This may be off topic, belonging more in the realm of social science, but I found this rather interesting.

"And peace is a possible reality, meaning that all coud be free if they chose to be, then maybe we could work on the problems which confront earths inhabitants at a much faster pace, which would give us better odds at long term survival."

I just noticed your quote and I must disagree on both counts of peace and freedom. 1)peace: I don't think world peace is possible. This may be a pessimistic viewpoint but as long as two people remain of the face of the earth, confict will persist. It really depends on how you choose to define peace. Peace makes me think of happy happy, people all around the globe rejoice and hold hands. That's simply not believable. I think that there is constant struggle for power that's ever present. War is merely overt conflict. Conflict still persists in times of peace but does not openly manifest its self because neither party involved, stands to gain anything by waging war. For example, America sparingly engages in all out war on other countries, unless it's a matter of self interest and they have alot to lose (but not going to war) or alot to gain (by going to war). However, American imperialism persists in other forms, be it economic or cultural.

To say that it's possible to live in peace without war, is to change human nature. You said it yourself, we're nothing more than animals with a slightly higher evolved tool. We're still very much subject to our primal instincts.

2)freedom: We humans tend to believe that we are much freer than we actually are. For instance, we fancy ourselves free through our ability to choose anyone we like to be our sexual partner. But statistics show that there's an extremely high probability that one will marry only within ones own race (even in culturally diverse countries such as northamerica). Which brings me to the more philosophical problem of free will. Would you say that we have free will? I love discussing this topic.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins