Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
I'm Still Worried

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Mario Dovalina on September 12, 2001 18:22:53 UTC

I have very little doubt that this was a foriegn exercise. I could be wrong, but it's my gut feeling. The fact that Bin Laden was implicated in the 1993 terrorist bombing is the first thing, the decision to go for Camp David on the anniversary of the Camp David accords, the fact that we're sentencing an al Quaida member today, and other reasons, make me strongly suspect fundamentalist Middle Easterners.

Even so, I find a military recourse troublesome. It's not like Pearl Harbor, where we knew who the attackers were and where to find them. We're not dealing with a nation here, we're dealing with small groups of dedicated fanatics. So, in the end, I suspect that this will be an extremely frustrating and unrewarding retaliation. Plus, fighting against fanaticism is almost impossible. Even supposedly "evil" nations like the Soviet Union had enough foresight not to use weapons of mass destruction: they were rational and prudent. But put an ICBM in the hands of bin Laden or another fanatic, and I can almost guarantee you they would use it. This isn't a rational decision, it's an ideological one. They will do ANYTHING to bring the United States down, even if it spells World War 3. The loosely knit structure of these terrorist groups make them difficult to take down in a conventional sense. I don't think turning the Middle Eastern desert into glass will solve anything at all, but on the other hand I do not see an alternative.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins