Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
I'm Really Really Sad

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Aurino Souza on September 12, 2001 13:27:46 UTC

Because after such an unbelievable demonstration of the fragility of the human condition and of the need to promote peace and understanding amongst all the peoples in this world, what we see most of all from the leaders of the American people is talk of pride and revenge.

We're all in this together. American and Arab, Israeli and Palestinian, Christian and Muslim, Believer and Atheist, for as long as we keep focussing on our differences we shall suffer the consequences of our ignorance.

I saw on TV images of Palestinian people celebrating the events. Much as I'm disgusted by everything that has happened, much as I find it sad that the victims were not guilty of any crime, I'm really worried that those joyful Palestinians will be incorrectly labeled evil monsters. How many people, in the US or elsewhere, are really concerned about understanding what could possibly motivate such hatred in people that are not different from ourselves? How many people are really concerned about avoiding making the same mistakes they did?

If history repeats itself, as it usually does, these senseless acts of violence will only prompt more senseless acts of violence. It's one evil against the other, two wrongs trying to make a right. I just hope some future generation learns the lesson, we, like all our predecessors, are once again missing the opportunity.

The US calls itself a Christian society. President Bush finished his address with the traditional "God Bless America". Yet the God who is supposed to bless America has tried to teach us that we should love our enemies, that we should not retribute acts of violence, that we should seek wisdom rather than revenge. Alex is right. Most religious people are little more than liars who preach but do not practice.

I feel very sad for all that is happening. Last time I felt this sad was when the US killed innocent Serbians just a few years ago.

This world sucks. But there's hope, and I think hope is the only thing that keeps us alive.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins