In the Name of Allah, the Compassionate, the Merciful
CAIR ACTION ALERT #308
MUSLIMS ASKED TO OFFER HELP FOR VICTIMS OF TERRORIST ATTACKS
(WASHINGTON, DC - 9/11/2001) - CAIR is calling on Muslims nationwide to offer whatever assistance they can to help the victims of today's
terrorist attacks in New York and Washington, D.C.
Muslims in local communities should take the following IMMEDIATE ACTIONS:
* Muslim medical professionals are asked to go to the scenes of the attacks to offer aid and comfort to the victims.
* Muslim relief agencies should contact their counterparts to offer support in the recovery efforts.
* Individual Muslims should donate blood by contacting the local office of the Red Cross. (Call 1-800-GIVE-LIFE.) They should also send donations to those relief agencies that are on the scene of the attacks.
CAIR also asks community members to 1) REPORT INCIDENTS of anti-Muslim harassment or attacks (Report to the police and then to CAIR. See
attached "Incident Report Form.") and 2) ISSUE LOCAL STATEMENTS TO THE MEDIA (see below) condemning the attacks and offering condolences for the victims. It is also suggested that steps be taken to increase security around mosques
and Islamic centers.
(In the first few days following the 1995 attack on the Murrah Federal Building in Oklahoma, Muslims reported more than 200 incidents of
harassment, threats and actual violence. CAIR has already received reports of verbal harassment against Muslim women who wear head scarves.)
Security precautions suggested by CAIR include:
* Those who wear Islamic attire should consider staying out of public areas for the immediate future.
* Request additional police patrols in the vicinity of mosques.
* Post mosque members at entrances and parking areas during prayer times.
* Report suspicious packages to police.
* Document descriptions of suspicious people or vehicles.
SAMPLE PRESS STATEMENT: (Fill in appropriate information in bracketed items and send to local TV assignment editors, newspapers city editors, radio news directors, and wire service bureau news editors. Call local media outlets to obtain contact information.)
U.S. MUSLIMS CONDEMN TERRORIST ATTACKS
([CITY, STATE]- 9/11/2001) - Muslims in [CITY] today condemned the apparent terrorist attacks in New York and Washington and offered condolences to the families of those who were killed or injured.
In a statement, local Muslim representatives said:
"We condemn in the strongest terms possible what are apparently vicious and cowardly acts of terrorism against innocent civilians. We join with all Americans in calling for the swift apprehension and punishment of the perpetrators. No cause could ever be assisted by such immoral acts.
"All members of the Muslim community are asked to offer whatever help they can to the victims and their families. Muslim medical professionals
should go to the scenes of the attacks to offer aid and comfort to the victims.
Muslim relief agencies should contact their counterparts to offer support in the recovery efforts. Individual Muslims should donate blood by contacting the local office of the Red Cross. They should also send donations to those relief agencies that are on the scene of the attacks.
"We further call on media professionals to exercise restraint and not draw premature conclusions as to who was responsible for the apparent attacks."
- END -
CONTACT: [NAMES AND PHONE NUMBERS OF COMMUNITY REPRESENTATIVES]
- PLEASE COPY, POST AND DISTRIBUTE -
INCIDENT REPORT FORM
Return form with supporting documents (such as police reports, etc.)
to: CAIR Incident Report, 453 New Jersey Avenue, SE, Washington, D.C.
20003; Tel. 202/488 8787. Fax: 202-488 0833 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org (All
reports are confidential.)
NAME OF REPORTING PARTY:
DESCRIBE THE INCIDENT IN DETAIL: (Who/What/When/Where/Why/How)