Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Thanks For Not Being Offended!

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Richard D. Stafford, Ph.D. on September 10, 2001 19:14:59 UTC

Mario,

I think a lot of people think of me as offensive but it isn't my intention to offend. As you well know I believe my foundations as laid out in my presentation constitute a much more dependable foundation than the foundation used by common science today. Now clearly, I may be wrong; but that judgement is left up to the scholar who is able to follow what I say. Anyone who can do that must posses two qualities: first, they must know and understand a wealth of mathematics and second, they must be willing and able to think for themselves.

The combination is actually quite rare as education often beats the second out of the student. One of the reasons I am interested in you is that you show every sign of thinking for yourself and stand at the threshold of learning. Most educated people give up on thinking for themselves as they are overwhelmed by the brilliance of the scholars who came before them.

I would suggest that a complete understanding of mathematics is the first step towards an adequate foundation as I don't think the range of logic without mathematics is sufficient to deduce much of consequence. Then, just be very careful that you know exactly what you mean by what you say: that your opening position is as free of preconceived ideas as possible.

When you ask a question, be sure you understand exactly what you are asking and what is necessary to discover the answer. Think things out very carefully. You may not figure out the right answer but you will do better than most!

I always say, if the student isn't better than the teacher the education is no more than a commercial product and is otherwise a waste of time.

Have fun -- Dick

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins