Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
There Are Good Christians, There Are Bad Christians...

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Rich on September 10, 2001 11:33:10 UTC

there are good atheists, there are bad atheists.

Absolutely. To disagree with that would be rather ignorant of reality. Now while I realize that atheists get a very bad stigma placed upon them, this is why I hate the term atheist, it isn't atheism that is bad, rather the atheist that is bad.

I'm surprised you don't know many atheists. Many atheists are actually very knowledgable in religion. They know the bible well. They know the history of the bible and other religions well. My transition to atheism began with the faith I was brought up as, a roman catholic. When I was about 13, I really had doubts about the whole deal. It just seemed wrong. The points weren't lining up. Instead of the connect-the-dots making a Mr. Potato Head, they formed a Chevy Stationwagon. My problem was finding something I could believe in. Senior year in high school, our english teacher had us read a few chapters of the Tao Te Ching. Our teacher had a way of just babbling for a while, so I would take the whole book from his desk and read it during his babbling session. This was my enlightenment. It showed to me, morality and definition can exist without god. Then I went to a Christian college to get my engineering degree, the catholic church paid my tuition for 4 years... suckers. It was there, in my freshman year that I learned it was alright to question the bible. My first religion teacher, a brother, taught us some of the history and the real meanings of stories in the bible. This is when I fully emersed myself in the bible. I read the majority of it and had nothing but questions and then eventually made a couple of conclusions that were to be confirmed later on about the writing of the bible. From this education, I learned, as have many other atheists, about Judaism and the Christianity that comes from it. We made our conclusions that rival that of the mainstream culture. And this lends nothing to experiences in life that mold opinions.

This is where you'll run into atheists that seem to be arrogent. Some are just fed up being told that they are wrong all the time. That there is a god willing to love them if they just stop hating god. The mainstream christian's knowledge of the mind of a mainstream atheist is very poor. We aren't the satanic worshipping haters of the world. We don't sacrifice children for the fun of it. We don't have a hatred of god. We aren't being soliders of satan. We don't think science is the end all, see all of life. We tend to be well educated people, 50/50 have arrogent attitudes, the others are tranquil, we really believe we have looked at ALL of the evidence and have come to the reasonable conclusion.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins