Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
I Wish To Add...

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Robert Garfinkle on September 10, 2001 04:08:20 UTC

You had wrote:

"Now the key to atheistic belief. The stronghold of our morality is also our lack of a belief in an afterlife. This will be attacked by some and say we can do whatever we want without consequence. However, this goes against the order of life we want. In reality, with no belief in the afterlife, we feel that the value of life is on a much higher scale of value than that of any theist. Therefore to kill someone would be the ultimate crime for us. To abuse a person, to make their existence hell is a crime because there is nothing else. All you have is life, so we want life to be as pleasent as possible. Theists believe that heaven will be worth the suffering. We don't believe in such a reward. Therefore, life on Earth must be filled with moral righteousness because there is nothing else."

I Respond:

Absolutely beautiful, very nicely said. But there are exceptions, or shall I say, there are those few people who are atheistic in belief but that do not have a regard for other peoples feelings.

I have been attacked recently by an individual who has no regard/repsect for me. He just revels in seeing other people scorned by his rudeness. Please don't get me wrong. I am not suggesting that because he is an atheist and doesn't believe in GOD that he is a bad person, but I really have not had the chance before meeting this person to really get to know a person who does not believe in GOD. I have not formed an opinion of atheists based on this persons demeanor. I have just formed an opinion of him.

I am glad to hear, if I get your conveyance of "The Atheist" correctly, that most strive to be good people regardless of religious adhearance.

Peace

Rob

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins