Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Mental Models Are Restrictive But We Must Work With Them

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Mario Dovalina on September 9, 2001 19:24:39 UTC

Hi, Dick.

Thanks for your response. Here's what I think of it: :)

"If the Universe is defined to be everything then the question is without meaning as there is nothing outside the universe by definition."

Okay. I'll phrase my question differently so it can't be dodged: Our observable universe: this dimension, everything created by the Big Bang. Did it require someone to push the big red button labled "Big Bang", as Alex likes to say, or can the entire process be self-starting and self-sustaining?

"The fact that you ask this question implies that you are implicitly assuming some mental model of the universe is valid (in this case, I guess that would be Alex’s model, as, if it were your model, you would know the answer). You have to decide the answer to this question yourself! "

I work with what I've got. The "I don't know" answer is certainly the most honest and most accurate, and we should all use it. The only problem is I often sense a defeatest attitude from you: "We can't ever truly accept any models of reality, so why try?" If this isn't the case, I apologize, but it's what I sense. And while it is true that reality does and will always ellude us, getting closer is worth it. So my question was not pertaining to a true model of reality so much as the most accurate and mathematically valid one, as far as can currently be told.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins