Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
"Communicate."

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Mario Dovalina on September 8, 2001 02:19:53 UTC

"I think that a belief is on the same level as feelings. Feelings can't be wrong. EVER."

No. A belief may be BASED on emotion, but it isn't the same. An emotion is a subjective experience that is internal (I feel happy) A belief is a subjective experience claimed to be EXTERNAL (God is out there somewhere.) So, because emotions make to claim of "truth" or external reality, they can never be wrong, because they make to claims. But a belief by its very nature IS a claim, and therefore can be either proved or disproved. The fact that a belief is based entirely or mostly in subjectivity is not a shield: on the contrary, it strongly suggests that belief's invalidity.

"you can't knock the belief because the belief, of what ever it is being believed in, is viewed/felt by that person as being their ultimate proof and they need not go futher."

It doesn't matter. Just because I feel X to be an ultimate proof doesn't make it an ultimate proof, and if someone thinks my position is ridiculous, he doesn't only have the right, he has the responsibility to tell me why he thinks I'm wrong. I don't think we should let someone stew in his or her own juices. If the general mindset of the world is "Believe and let believe," we will have a world with 6 billion views of reality. And almost certainly 6 billion totally wrong views of reality. Oh, sure it would be nice to believe the earth is on the back of a turtle, but are we any worse off for having learned the world is a sphere?

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins