Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Biblical Revisions

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Phil.o.sofir on September 30, 1999 02:25:54 UTC

: : You only need to press "post message" once, you friggin' retard!

***This reply is realy for the originator, but I wanted you to read this quick part so I posted it here. Sometimes it takes a while for the post to show up for some reason or another, and it is worth chancing a duplicate entry than to risk have to retype it all and to start from scratch. Also I find that my original post is the best becuase it comes out of your minds knowledge spontanious ly. I gues yo r going 2 critisiz my spelling now? Even now there are two of my replies in limbo even though they said msg added, I hope they show up. Also posts somtimes are placed out of sequence or even in the topic. I have notified the master about these problems although I am sure he knows about them already. A small price to pay for such an opportunity as is given freely for our enjoyment and knowladge. Would'nt you say? ***Hi tenacious, I agree with your post and have used the same kind of argument, it always goes round and round. The reason is this: As our religiuos texts are revised, it seems an emphasis is always placed on changing parts of it in response to new threats of knowledge, if it were a regular text I would say this is as it should be, but these are "divinely written, unchangable" and are supposed to hold thier own because they are written by the almighty who forsees challenges. Then the parodox I can see in response to this is that even this is planned by god and that it is expected, even though the text itself says it must never and can never be altered by man. Then maybe a response to this would be that for those who read it, it is understood, meaning by those who are part of the plan/chosen for its meaning to be revealed to them. But then why change it in the first place? But then maybe it is seperate the chaff from the wheat, you see, if one sees it as changing in its essence/meaning, then those are the ones who know not the lord, but those who trust its message and that it has only changed to the worldly ones. Almost like a conspiracy by god. The most important thing I see from all this is that it seems that when these texts were changed, alot of thought was placed within it so that these very kinds of arguements would occur, therby allowing no threat to the believers trust in it authenticity and truth. These scholars were probably the top in there fields, especially in understanding how the mind of man operates, much like ancient pyschologists. History records the changes for one text to the next version, it is amazing to see where the changes occur, deletions, additions rewording, changing comlete meanings, and all are given explainations even by todays biblical scholars and theologins, I am so glad I did not go to seminary, I might have been writting in the opposite direction, I do wonder if the circumstances would have given me the opportunity to examine in the same ways? So I my opinion, the texts are purposefuly written as a tool for confusion to be used by trained (scholars) preists... so that they may provide the explainations. Most give in when thier total confusion is given an explaination just a little less confusing, thus the feel that one is begining to understand, and then it is supported by common sense statements of the obviuos in words that have an highly inteligent and pleasing, authoritive but understanding tone/sound/ring to it, eloquent maybe? And who has time to dig into all the details to find the truth when that is what we pay (god gives us) these preachers... for, especially when we need to be out providing for our family... I have seen enough to be convinced, and just want to be sure... The bibal is a very intricate piece of work, created in great detail in an effort to convince thru confusion the mass to simply accept. There is a bookI really enjoyed titled: "Common Sense" I cant remember the priest who wrote it, but it is the last will of a catholic priest to his paritioners during a time when any voice agaist "offical" church/pope doctrine, no matter how small, usually meant death, or if you were lucky and repented, imprisonment. It is a step by step dismantleing of every thing that religion is based upon. I have even thought about starting a campain to place a copy of it along side of all the gideons in motel rooms, doctors offices... Although I am sure I could not gather volunteers/resourses or have the ability to organize such a feat. It would be done casually, as one happens to know one would be in a place anyway such as a hotel... Besides, I am sure I would be locked up for it. But the idea is fun to play around with. It is really a good supportive instrument for the new non-beliver. Okay that is enough campaining :)

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins