Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
It Goes On And On.

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Paul R. Martin on September 6, 2001 00:23:07 UTC

Don't forget about the billion or so people in India, and the billions of their forbears, who have been saddled with the notion from their religions that their condition in life was determined by their karma and that it is futile to attempt to overcome it. This keeps the lowest castes in a hopeless and degrading state, and the higher castes with an attitude that nothing need be done to improve things because in a way, everyone deserves his lot in life. What a horrendous problem, not only for the past, but for the prospects of improving things in the future. It all comes from the beliefs taught by their religios organizations for thousands of years.

Even though I also disagree with you, Alex, that there is no place for a "god" (I cringe when I have to use that "loaded" word), I agree with your assessment of the great damage done, and still being done, by the religious organizations of the world.

Warm regards,

Paul

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins