Back to Home

General Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Misc. Topics | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Moon

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Nando/">Nando on August 3, 1999 16:51:43 UTC

: Just curious. Do the phases of the moon appear the same : all over the world? Or does your position on the earth : affect this as it does an eclipse?

: Thanks for your help, : Sheri

I think starman did not answer your question, which by the way, is a question that I've had for a while and haven't found a satisfactory answer.

The Lunar Phases obviously do not depend on an observer from the earth, but from different latitudes on earth it should be seen differently.

If you could look at the Moon from the northern hemisphere and see the Moon only half illuminated. Let's say the right half illuminated. At the same time an observer on the southern hemisphere should see the left illuminated.

I'm saying right and left assuming a vertical division between light and dark, which is obviously not the case because that angle, you see, should depend on the latitude of the observer.

By my same assumption (I really don't know if this is true or not) there should be a place on Earth where we should be able to see the Moon top-half illuminated or bottom half illuminated. With the division between light and dark being horizontal.

I'm guessing that this should occur somewhere close to the plane of the ecliptic crossing the Earth.

I hope someday, I will travel to this place, just to take a picture of the moonrise or moonset top-half illuminated, which for some reason I imagine more beautiful than bottom-half illuminated.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins