Back to Home

General Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Misc. Topics | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Meade ETX 90-EC

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by Dickman/">Dickman on June 18, 1999 03:10:36 UTC

I recently purchased this scope, along with the new Autostar Computer control, the field tripod and an extra eyepeice (9.7mm) thus spending slightly over $1,000.00 for the system. I love the Autostar "go-to" system, and the fine Maksutov optics. However, the scope is incredible for Moon, planetary and star viewing (using the 26 mm eyepiece), but when using the 9.7 mm eyepeice (129X)the viewing is slightly distorted and has a "soft" or hazy focus. Views are great with the provided 26mm (48X) eyepiece, but the scope will not resolve any deep-sky (Messier, Caldwell, etc.) objects. The Scope is advertised to have a practical power limit exceeding 250X; I DON'T THINK SO! Now, I'm wondering if I might have been better off spending the money on an 8" SCT of some kind sacrifing the computerized control and just using setting circles. Opinions, anyone? Thanks.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins