Back to Home

General Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Misc. Topics | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Spin Cast Epoxy Mirrors

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by tom habanek/">tom habanek on May 22, 1999 13:50:18 UTC

what failures did you run into. Send me what you have. If the focus was off from the center of the mirror being off I may have a solution. In making a dob, you replace the secndary mirror with a shperical convex 2" to 3" mirror. Then you have the makings for a Schmidt. But instead of drilling a hole in the center of the primary, you install a diagonal. Now the light will shoot out to the side. Guess where you put the focuser? Directly at the pivot point. Look, a dob spins up and down on two wheels. If the focuser was in the center of one of those wheels then you would do two things. You wouldn't have to stand up sit down fight fight fight. All the eyepieces would be at one level. And by making the scope into a pseudo schmidt you eliminate 30% of the light source or so coming from the center of the dob. I forget what they call it when you use the ronchi test and gring the center to parabolize the mirror but most of the problems come from the center being off. I think. Email me with anything you might have to help me make a 20 and a 30 inch scope.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins