Back to Home

General Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Misc. Topics | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
In March 97 Someone Here Said That Alpha Centauri Couldn't Have A Habitable Planet

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by James Slater/">James Slater on April 19, 1999 11:38:25 UTC

I wish I could remember the source post, But memory will have to suffice. The person wanted to know if Alpha Centauri 1 could have a habitable planet orbiting it. He was writing a fictional story and wanted to be scientifically accurate. The first reply said that the gravitational forces would pull it apart. While the second suggested that the third star would solve that problem but was too dim to support life. I'd like to address the latter first.

If the orbit were closer to the star than earth norm, wouldn't that compensate for the dimness of that star?

As to the first, Since most people tend to think of These systems on the same plane (horzontal), A planet orbiting BETWEEN the stars would probably be doomed. What if planet orbited on an other plane (vertical) that was perpendicular to the norm. Might such a planet be habitable? Now I realze that this would be highly unlikely but, a rogue planet captured by the star's gravity could be possibile. Thank you

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins