Back to Home

General Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Misc. Topics | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Meade Starfinder Equatorial 10"

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Jeff Thomas/">Jeff Thomas on April 9, 1999 19:53:50 UTC

: Could someone let me know how good is the above telescopeand what I can expect to see. : Thank you.

My third telescope was a Meade Starfinder 10" EQ and I enjoyed it very much. I have worked in an Astronomy Shop selling telescopes for about 3 years and I can say that if you want a 10" on an EQ mount the Mead Starfinder is the best product on the marked for the price. To get anything better you would have to spend about twice as much (Meade 10" LX-50).

If you are looking for the largest scope for the money and do not need an EQ mount look at Coultlers 10" F5.6 or the 13 inch. The 10"'s longer focal ratio means better images and the 13 inch will show much more detail in galaxies, but it is pretty cumbersome. For planetary observing The Meade will do better since it tracks.

If you want to do astrophotgraphy you can do lunar and planetary with the Mead but you will have to upgrade to a better focuser since the standard one will flex. The Starfinder also comes with a 6x30 finder, which is OK, but you will want to upgrade to a 50 mm which will cost at least $150 (I like Lumincon for finderscopes). See this webpage for information about the problems with the Starfinder and how to fix them, but keep in mind that the Starfinder will perform well out of the Box.

http://members.aol.com/atmlugt/my_scopes.htm

In my opinion the Starfinder cannot be beat for the money. The fast F4.5 focal ratio means that there will be allot of coma (blurry stars away from the center of the field) this can be fixed with the Tele Vue Parracor for about $250.

Hope this helps,

Jeff Thomas

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins