Back to Home

General Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Misc. Topics | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Please Help Me Decide

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by Bob K /">Bob K on February 5, 1999 11:00:16 UTC

I am getting back into astronomy after a long absence. I am purchasing a new scope and have narrowed it down to either an Orion 6" Dobs or an Orion 4.5" short tube newtonian. I expect to do mainly event viewing (like Jupiter an Venus later this month) and general family viewing of planets and the moon. I have heard good things about Orion's quality and support. The questions are: Is the 1.5 extra inch aperture on the Dobs worth the extra cost? Do I need an equatorial mount (the newtonian has one the dobs, of course, doesn't)? Are the optica in the dobs (and therefore the image clarity) as superior as Orion says it is?

I know these are questions that may have been asked before but I want to make the right choice.

Thanks

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins