Back to Home

General Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Misc. Topics | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Focuser Grease And Telrad Mounting...

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by Doug Cimperman on August 16, 2007 19:58:44 UTC

Problem #1-
I have a Orion telescope about 3 years old. The grease in the focuser feels like.... 3-year-old maple syrup. What can I clean this stuff off with? Is isopropyl alcohol typically safe? Most of the parts are metal, but there are pads of what looks like plastic that the focus tube rides on.

...Also I have seen dry lubricants mentioned, are these generally the better choice? I have some Remingont dri-lube, that is teflon powder in an evaporating carrier. Does this sort of lube typically harm plastics?

Problem #2-
I finally got around to ordering a Telrad, and there's nowhere good to stick it on the telescope tube. The only way I can see is to peel off the very ends of the mounting tape and stick it on the tube rings, but I'm wondering if it will get knocked off easily during transporting.... Is there any other really good way to mount this on a short scope?

Thanks

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins