Back to Home

General Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Misc. Topics | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Question 11: Ls It Really A Model Of A General Explanation?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Harvey on December 13, 2004 03:38:06 UTC

Based on the information contained in that part of "A" which is given, it will yield a specifc set of expectations for any proposed element of "A" (known or unknown). If the specific element happens to be a member of that part which is given the results will be 100% consistent with what was given. If the specific element is not a member of what is given it will either fit the expectations given or it will yield an alteration in the set of further expectations: i.e., it smoothly becomes a member of the given elements of "A".

I would agree that expectations of the hearer or explainee (i.e., the person who hears and understands the explanation) is one of the potential properties that one can consder as a property of a good explanation. However, as I asked in my last question, how do you pinpoint in your model that it is an explanation that you are modeling and not some other attribute of an explanation that is shared by other intentional acts? In other words:

Question 11: How do you justify that you are modeling the general concept of an explanation and not some other intentional act that also requires 'expectation' of the hearer? For example, giving yourself an excuse to be rude is not necessarily an explanation on why you were rude to someone, yet you might meet a level of expectation on the part of the hearer (i.e., yourself) in being rude is okay.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins