Back to Home

General Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Misc. Topics | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Question 10: What Are The Properties Of A General Explanation?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Harvey on December 12, 2004 03:17:18 UTC

If a model of something is to be general, it must be applicable to each and every particular case of that thing which is conceivable (whether you can think of it or not). Therefore, the model itself cannot include the definition of any particular case... "AN explanation" is not undefined! That is the whole issue of the presentation! I specifically define "AN explanation" to be a method of obtaining expectations from given known information. You seem to be confusing the general concept of an explanation with the concept of an explanation of some specific thing.

If you are modeling the general properties of an explanation (i.e., any explanation), then tell me what properties of an explanation that applies for every explanation and tell me how you know you are modeling an explanation. In other words:

Question 10: How do you know you are modeling the properties of a general explanation versus non-related factors to an explanation? Such as, descriptions of an explandum, re-statements of the explandum, excuses, etc.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins