Back to Home

General Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Misc. Topics | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
What Is Required To Make Something An Explanation Is Exactly Def

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Richard D. Stafford, Ph.D. on December 11, 2004 16:55:28 UTC

Axiom I: "an explanation is that which explains physical things" ??????
That's your axiom, not mine!

Furthermore, you seem to believe no explanation is defined unless you understand it!

Harv, you seem to have no comprehension of the constraints imposed on the concept of a "general" model. If a model of something is to be general, it must be applicable to each and every particular case of that thing which is conceivable (whether you can think of it or not). Therefore, the model itself cannot include the definition of any particular case.

Harv said, "If an explanation is undefined, then what property does an undefined explanation have that makes it an explanation?"

"AN explanation" is not undefined! That is the whole issue of the presentation! I specifically define "AN explanation" to be a method of obtaining expectations from given known information. You seem to be confusing the general concept of an explanation with the concept of an explanation of some specific thing. Spend a little time thinking about what you are saying please! You want a specific explanation to be defined, all you have to do is define "A" (that which is to be explained): i.e., specify the collection of elements which define that which is to be explained and the specific case is defined.

Have fun -- Dick

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins