Back to Home

General Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Misc. Topics | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Question 9: Is An 'undefined' Explanation A Real Explanation?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Harvey on December 7, 2004 02:54:47 UTC

Let me your last two answers in terms of postulates and axioms:

Axiom I: "an explanation is that which explains physical things"

Postulate I: "How and when does the listener know when he/she understands the explanation? Why, when his/her expectations are consistent with their experiences."

Postulate II: "Then arn't (sic) all expectations of a physical nature? Not if 'a physical nature' has not been defined!"

If an explanation is dependent on expectations that are consistent with experiences (Postulate I), and all explanations are that which explain physical things (Axiom I), however 'physical nature' can be undefined (Postulate II), then it would appear that you can have explanations which are undefined if the 'physical things' of an explanation is undefined. Would you agree with that statement?

Question 9: If an explanation is undefined, then what property does an undefined explanation have that makes it an explanation? That is, how can you consider an explanation that is undefined as an explanation in the first place?

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins