Back to Home

General Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Misc. Topics | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Are You Reading What I Say Carefully?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Richard D. Stafford, Ph.D. on October 19, 2004 17:17:24 UTC

Per Harv,

"Okay, I understand that set A is the explanandum (that which needs explanation) and the 'elements of A' are the explanans (the individual elements of the explanation that explain the explanandum).

Question 2: What exactly does set B represent in your (revised) model if set A represents the explanandum?"

[b]2. B is a set, defined to be an unordered finite collection of elements of A.[/b]

As I said in my definition, B is an unordered finite collection of elements of A. If you understand what A stands for (that which needs explanation) it should be clear to you what B stands for!

Certainly only a complete idiot would hold that the entirety of A (as it has been defined) is available to us when it comes to comprehending A (or modeling A???): i.e., the presumption that no further information is or ever will be available is a rather provincial position to take even on simple problems (mistakes and misunderstandings happen). On the other hand, the actual information available must contain some part of A: i.e., it must at least contain elements of A or we are wasting our time.

As I say in my essay, "The problem is to create a model which will model any explanation of A obtained from C. As an aside, it should be obvious that the necessity of defining C arises because, if all the elements of A are known, A itself is a model of A and the problem posed is trivial."

Have fun -- Dick

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins