Back to Home

General Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Misc. Topics | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Question 1

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Harvey on October 14, 2004 23:33:46 UTC

Okay, let me try and get some background understanding question by question.

". A set of reference labels for the elements of A (so that we may know and discuss what we are dealing with)."

In math, we don't care what the 'set of elements' is, it is just treated as an abstract object and the elements could be anything you wish to consider as a 'set'. However, in the application of mathematics (e.g., to philosophical issues), you have to tell us what you want the "elements of set A" to apply some kind of meaning. So, for example, if you want the "elements of set A" to refer to all the different animals at Seattle's zoo, then I know that you where you want to apply your math.

So...

QUESTION 1: When you say "elements of A" and "I am modeling an explanation", please tell me what connection the 'elements of A' and 'modeling an explanation' have together.

My understanding is that the elements of A could be anything (e.g., zoo animals) and that has nothing to do with an explanation. Why do you want your math applied to connect these apparently 2 totally different concepts?

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins