Back to Home

General Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Misc. Topics | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Time's Arrow

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by Christopher James Jenyns on October 23, 2003 20:08:15 UTC

Is it possible that time's arrow is actually a function of limitations on our own memory?

I was considering the possibility that time's arrow is dependent on the fact that we cannot remember non-objects. The reason is that the lack of non-objects limits our ability to apply a logical reversal (of the kind that we apply easily to space) to time. While we might say that there is a "time before time in space" and hence postulate time in a logical construct, we do not say that there is a "space before space in time" (a non-object) and hence cannot postulate a probable ground for the reversal of causation in space as a product of equivalent but reversed time.

Socially, we postulate time as a shared contingency but we do not postulate space as a shared propensity. Consequently, time has a utility that we negotiate socially (with reference to space) - hence its induction as a potential candidate for the same kind of manipulation within a logical construct that we periodically apply to space, despite our failing capacity to do so conceptually. Furthermore, you will note that *socially* to successfully apply a logical construct which validates the non-object as a ground for the reversal of time would be disasterous! Imagine claiming that the implied causation of a given past, "away" from space as we know it, was the future, despite the validity of the communication being dependent on the said audience imagining to have access to a chain of causation that, for the purposes of communication, doesn't exist. It would be like talking to your friend about a movie and claiming to remember seeing a part of the film that was elipsed and expecting him to both anticipate the possibility and respond with his estimation of how well it didn't happen in a good way.

Yet there is *someone* who once refered to a "space before space in time": Jesus. In John 17:5 Jesus says "And now, O Father, glorify thou me with thine own self with the glory which I had with thee before the world was." Furthermore, to those believers who overcome the world Jesus promises " To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne. " Revelation 3:21 Could it be that through faith in God we may literally attain what is logically, socially, and for all intents and purposes, practically impossible (by the world's standard)?

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins