Back to Home

General Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Misc. Topics | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
RE

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Bob Sal on September 18, 2003 18:29:35 UTC

I guess there's a difference from brand to brand, I havn't seen all the brands and compaired them to really give a valid assessment. I own 3 different ones myself and can tell you the difference there. I have a Meade OIII 2" which works great. It filters out most stars and probably all light polution yet lets the nebula shine through. Makes a very dark background so the nebula appears brighter. I've seen other OIII filters and they have pretty much the same effect. The Orion Ultra Block 1.25" is not as strong. It lets more stars shine through and still darkens the background enough to make a nebula very appearent. I really like that one. Still looks like you looking at the sky. I've seen several planetary nebulas with that filter I wouldn't have seen without it. Then I have the the Orion Skyglow. I just got this one and havn't used it yet. I have seen it in action before and it filter less than the Ultra Block. I'm hoping to use it on DSO's other than the nebulas since the light polution in my backyard has gotten much worst in the last 2 years. It advertises to be used in heavy light polution to darken the background and make DSO's look brighter especially nebulas. As soon as the weather clears and I get a chance to use it I'll post again. Good Luck.
That's it;
BOB SAL

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins