Back to Home

General Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Misc. Topics | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
(Maybe Dumb) Q. Re Origin Of Solar System

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by Rick Schu on July 28, 2003 03:31:46 UTC

I'm not even an amateur astronomer, but do occasionally flip through the astronomy section of my atlas. Something i read tonight seems fishy.
If there was a "solar nebula" which condensed into the sun and planets, wouldn't the heaviest elements have "fallen" out first? Seems to me all the lead and gold and uranium and iron should be deep inside the sun.
Then i read the next page, which said that while the volume of the sun is more than a million times the earth, the mass is only 330,000 times the earth - and the mean solar density is only 1.4 times that of water. So i ask my self - Is there something about solar fusion that spits out heavy elements?
And one final question - Is there any way to explain this to a non-scientist?
Thanx

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins