Back to Home

General Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Misc. Topics | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Pluto

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Bob Sal on July 14, 2003 18:28:35 UTC

Pluto is usually over 13th magnitude. Right now it's 13.8. That's pretty dim but seeable in a 8". The trick is to look at the same spot several nights in a row. It may even take more than that, several weeks to spot it. You have to sketch the stars it the area. Over a period of time you'll notice one is moving. Pluto does not move that far that fast so it's not so easy to pick out. It's size is only .1" so it's not gonna look like a disk. It will look like a dim star. You should try to pick out a 13th magnitude star to, just to get an idea how dim an object your looking for. I have a 12"LX200 which I have pointed at Pluto many times. Still haven't picked it out of the field. I don't really have time to sketch it and all. The clear nights here in NJ are so far between, I have better things to do when I get a chance to set up the scope. I tell you though, it's a fun project. I've done it with asteriods. They move faster and are generally brighter so they are easier to spot. I followed Neptune and Uranus for months with my binoculars. They are fun, you can find them easy. Good luck.
That's it;
BOB SAL

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins