Back to Home

General Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Misc. Topics | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
An Incredible Universe

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Tom Simpson on May 18, 2003 19:24:56 UTC

I don't think that anyone is ever disappointed when they point a telescope at the sky.
It's really kind of weird.
You Never see what the photos in the magazines show you but you are always totally in awe with what your eyes are really perceiving.
Globular Clusters... the Pleiades... Nebulas...

I trully believe that anyone seriously interested in Astronomy must be scientifically inclined.
Some people just like looking at all the stuff that's out there but most devolope the attitude that I've alreaded looked at something that looks just like that and then loose interest.

I would seriously advise you to try and find a local astronomy club in your area.
I promise they will not laugh at you for all your questions. This will allow you to look though many different telescopes before you buy.

For some people, a telescope truly changes their life.

I might suggest a small inexpensive telescope if you're interested in entering the field.
Don't spend too much.
I personally spent about $800 only to find that was not the telescope I really wanted.

If you are willing to commit the money.
A 12" scope from Meade costs $3000 plus all the eye pieces and accessories you will want to purchace afterwards. Another $3000.

In my case, because I'm mainly interested in
Photography, I have personally invested well over $10.000 in "MY Astronomy Venture" and I am about to invest much more as I am about to build an Observatory on my property.

Order online as local shops are Way... Way... Way... over priced.
I personally have had very good luck with
Hardin Optical
http://www.hardinoptical.com
and
Anacortes
http://www.buytelescopes.com
Good luck in your venture and feel free to ask any questions you might have.

TomS

PS: Also pay particular attention to Daniel's advise as he is very, very knowledgeable.
You can trust his advise.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins