Back to Home

General Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Misc. Topics | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Springfield Telescope Mount

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Steve Smith on April 1, 2003 22:04:24 UTC

Hi,
I actually have a Springfield Telescope Mount.
It is unassembled, but all pieces are here.
It allows the user to sit in one place and move the mount, instead of having to change position.

The following is from Guy Brandenburg, American University, Washington, DC, American Telescope Club, now in Chevy Chase, MD. "After some consultation with Texereau and the newest edition of the Ingalls ATM consultation. . . It looks almost exactly like the sketches Porter made of the hand-driven springfield mount; the only difference is that the eyepiece comes out at a different angle and has a star diagonal. Also, instead of the ball weight on the end of a curved rod, it has a cylindrical extension tube with a weird counterweight that reminds me of one of those evil crows' masks in the insane Breughel
paintings of Hell. . . .judging by our crude measurements of the photos, my guess is that it might be around f/4.5. It has a very nice
machined finder, and worm drive for slow motion. It stands on a pier and pedestal. . . . His estimate is that it weighs several hundred pounds. It has wheels. He thinks the pedestal is about 3 feet tall, and stands on a foot that is a few inches tall. There is a box with machinery under the mount itself. If you have never seen diagrams or pictures of a Springfield mount, the
idea is that the eyepiece is located exactly at the axis of the equatorial mount, and so the observer never has to move, no matter where
the scope is pointed. There are diagrams both in Texereau and in ATM, volume 1 (new style).
I have pictures but do not know how to post them to this site.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins