Back to Home

General Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Misc. Topics | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Springfield Mount

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Malcolm Bird on March 12, 2003 16:57:24 UTC

Hello,

I have a old issue of an astronomy book (petersons fieldguide I think...) that shows a picture of the original Custer Springfield 12" Newtonian.

The secret is in the L shaped declination bearing - essentially a plate bearing with a central hole through which the secondary reflects the light rays to a star diagonal.

Because the dec shaft and polar shaft essentially intersect at the eyepiece, or close to it, the eyepiece stays in the same position regardless of telescope orientation. It would make a perfect sitting scope for people with back problems,etc..

Unfortunately, it is difficult to make very portable because of the counterweight issues. Also, it would not work well with short focus mirrors because the secondary needs to be positioned closer to the primary so you get more distance outside the tube to play with.... You could do it with a 6"F8 and a 1.5" sec - but any faster and you'll need bigger diagonals to field the light rays...

I plan on building one this summer. I'm tired of the bedn and squat routine...

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins