Notice: session_start(): ps_files_cleanup_dir: opendir(/var/lib/php5) failed: Permission denied (13) in /home/astro/websites/astronomynet/htdocs/sitewide.php on line 4 Spin Axis For Photon - an Astronomy Net General Forum Message
Back to Home

General Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Misc. Topics | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Spin Axis For Photon

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Tim on March 8, 2003 03:14:37 UTC

just looked it up for the photon and you are correct, it is tricky though as polariztion is always vertical to the direction of travel of the photon while the spin axis is always parallel to the direction of travel.

as for the wave function with respect to electron spin you are probably right, i say probably because i'll be darned if i can make sense what they are saying in my old PCHEM book (chuckle).... in the discussion relativistic effects are considered along with the non-relativisitic Shrodinger equation and some of Dirac's results (touted as to complex to go into :), they are in this discussion willing (grudinglly so :) to show a little diagram of a spherical electron "spining on an axis" saying that such a picture gives rise to the practice of calling intrinsic angular momentum spin angular momentum or electron spin. they go into looking out for the diffence in orbital angular momentum and spin angular momentum (duh :).
finally with all these "wave function" like equations which i'm not posting they do come up with +1/2hbar and -1/2hbar.... so i guess you are correct.
spin certainly is a complex subject.

tim

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins