Back to Home

General Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Misc. Topics | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re : Dark Matter

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Daniel Johnson on February 27, 2003 13:38:43 UTC

Astronomers observe how the universe moves and deduce, using known laws of physics, how much matter there must be to make it move as observed, since gravity (from matter) influences the motion of every object. There isn't enough visible matter to account for observed motion, so (assuming we understand gravity/relativity well) there must be something we don't see that also adds more gravity. Astronomers don't agree yet on just what it is we don't see, i.e. what kind of matter is out there, but it may be totally different from the stuff that makes up you and me and planet Earth and all the stars. New observations are narrowing the choices, but I have the feeling that professional astronomers argue among themselves a lot over this one.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins