Back to Home

General Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Misc. Topics | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Binary Stars (stationary)

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by Chadwick on February 17, 2003 01:42:44 UTC

I am trying to solve a problem (curiosity in the field I guess).

Two suns, neither is moving (i.e. not drawn by the others' gravitational field). Each have three planets orbiting around them. One planet in this system is my main concern, though I imagine all of the other information is needed as well. This planet is in an orbit on its own. It travels around the two suns in a figue eight pattern. As it travels around one toward a point between the two it picks up the gravitational pull of the other sun and travels around it and in the same manner is drawn back into the gravity of the first sun.

a) How far would the Suns have to be from one another to maintain their own place in space?

b) How large would the planet in question have to be to be able to move between the two gravitational fields of these suns like mentioned?

c) Under what conditions could the planet support life?

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins