Back to Home

General Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Misc. Topics | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re LX200 10 Or 8 Inch

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Daniel Johnson on February 13, 2003 23:29:14 UTC

One factor to consider: the 8-inch has a 1.5-inch light path, limited by the size of the hole in the mirror. The 10-inch, as shipped from Meade, has a 1.5-inch opening where the focuser attaches, but a third-party upgrade (the “Eye Opener II”) is reasonably inexpensive and gives you a 2-inch light path. That gives slightly less vignetting on photos. I use the 10-inch myself. I’m fairly new to astrophotography, but so far I like my choice. In any case, I do a lot of my photography through an f/6 80mm refractor piggybacked on the main scope. This gives a field of view wide enough to photograph the Andromeda galaxy, North America nebula, and other extended objects that just don’t fit into an 8- or 10-inch scope’s field of view. Also, the learning curve is much easier, since tracking doesn’t have to be so precise. I do use the 10-inch for photography, but my skill level is just now reaching the level at which I can do so.
Also, don’t forget that for visual work, the 10-inch has 50% greater brightness for any given magnification.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins