Back to Home

General Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Misc. Topics | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Observing Strange Star

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by Psycho Dave/">Psycho Dave on November 26, 1998 00:43:19 UTC

Okay

Time: 10:30pm Arizona time Looking southeast in Tucson, AZ.

There's a bright flickering star under the constellation of Orion. If you look at Orion's belt, the 3 stars that make up the belt point ALMOST in a straight line towards it. The star is located about half-way between Orion and the Horizon.

I'm noticing this star flickering more and brighter than others in the area. It's flickering red and blue. I took out my binoculars and saw that it was not simply a slow plane or helicopter in the distance. It's stationary. It must be a star.

Am I observing a possible instability which could potentially mean a Nova, or is it just an atmospheric effect that will go away when the star is further from the horizon? It's only this star that is flashing red and blue in the area.

Any info on this would be appreciated. Please email privately. Thanks

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins