Back to Home

General Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Misc. Topics | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re-Captured Rotation

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Peter Sven Berger on August 15, 2002 22:46:25 UTC

Yes exactly havn't used the term captured rotation but agree with your line of thought .
would much enjoy some chat about the idea.
I believe Venus is in a state of captured rotation with Earth ,this is why it slowly reverse rotates.
I also believe it has a very low magnetic field becos magnetic fields are generated by rotation of a mass within an existing magnetic field.
In the case of the planets in our solar system,
the Suns magnetic field, Since Venus rotates very very slowly within the Suns magnetic field no field is generated.
The following is a related theory I've been working on lately

Why the Earth's rotation will cease.

lets start with things that I think we can agree on The Moons gravity pull, pulls the water on planet Earth towards the Moon.
If the Moon did not orbit the Earth at speed, causing centra-fugal force, it would come crashing down onto the Earth
The gravity pull between Earth and Moon is very great if the Moon's pull is acting on the water on Earth it must also be acting on all the other elements on the crust and the elements within the crust and the molten interier.
Earths gravity has also been pulling on the moons elemennts over the millenia. I believe the earth has already caused the moon's rotation to cease.
If you have a crucible of molten elements here on the surface of the earth, as it cools the heavy elements will settle while the lighter will rise to the surface. Clearly the work of the Earths gravity.

The Moon was molten it was a spherical crucible of molten elements , at a distance from the Earth but very much affected by the Earths gravitational pull. AS it rotated and cooled it's crust solidified to become the sphereical container of those elements.it's rotation continued, the earth continued to pull on the elements within. The constant pull from the earth caused the higher mass elements, to continueosly tend to fall to Earth, as it rotated these elements were carried around by the moons rotation while at the same time falling to Earth. This caused a heavier hemisphere to exist on the side nearest the Earth.
This then caused a continuous drag and internal friction phenomenon which over millions of years slowed the Moon's rotation down to a stand still.
The Moon is now held in lock by the Earths gravity pull, though from the Earth we do see some change as the Sun's mass also pulls on the Moon's heavy side.

So it is that I believe that it stands to reason that the pull of the mass of the Moon is causing the same imbalance frictional breaking on the Earth.
At a time possibly not to far in the future the Earths molten magma will cool to the point where large Quantities will solidify, seviere slowing will then occour, as the moon continuees to act on us.

Once rotation ceases the Earth and moon will be be linked as if by a giant cable, the Moon a massive ball swinging around us its orbit around us continuing to turn us 12 or so times for each of our solar orbits.

This will give the Earth 12 or so, month long days and nights. The continent left facing the Moon will always face the Moon.

The weather will be horendous with one side of the planet becoming incredibly hot while the other, will be incredibly cold with massive storms raging between.

The place to be will be Mars with its tiny Moons it will continue to have 24.5 hr days as it does now,there is thought to be water in large quantities so its definatelty the place to set up a survival base.

If I'm wrong well it would be a great adventure, nothing lost.

What ever is our future its time us humans stopped fighting over this tiny incredible paradise while we still have it.
cheers Peter

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins