Back to Home

General Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Misc. Topics | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
I'm Not One To Pretend I Know What's Going On...

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Andy Kidd on August 8, 2002 03:58:06 UTC

with the universe [and me, i still classify the 'big bang' as just another theory] but it seems to me:

1) [incidently (no pun intended) the objects we see at billions of LY's away are not seen from light reflected from them but emitted from them[galaxies]). With the right measurements we should be able to extrapolate where they've gone to by now, to some degree.

2) when we look billions of LY's into space we ARE seeing how it looked long, long ago ["in a galaxy far, far away..." D-Oh! i must've seen 'star wars' too many times... that just slipped out...].

3) IMO it should be possible to determine where the 'center of the universe is' (where the 'big bang' happened... if there was really one) IF we can see all the way across the universe. The farthest deep-space objects then would have left the 'singularity' at the opposite direction 'we' did- so that would make it inbetween 'them' and 'us'.

4) So far 'we' have been using our own solar system as the 'universal reference point' by which all motion is measured (kind of as silly as the pre-copernican 'earth-centered universe' theories, eh?)

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins