Back to Home

General Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Misc. Topics | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Collimation, HOW TO??

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by George on June 28, 2002 18:06:32 UTC

I believe I am collimating my Newt correctly but have a feeling that I'm not "precisly" accurate with my collimation skills. I was wondering if a Cheshire eyepiece might help or are they a waist of money?
I've learned to use "star tests", as well I own "The Backyard astronomer" by Terrance D., which has an excellent discription of what should be done. But collimation seems to be the type of thing which is better shown to parson, rather than have them read about it.
It would be of great help if someone would please guide me to a website which has a HOW TO section, or just tell me their personal struggles with collimating Newts, because I feel as though I'm shooting in the dark with my alignment which is just about the worst thing any telescope owner could poassible feel.
One more question: When you see an "Airy disk" pattern is it when it's out of focus or in focus? I'm unable to see one when it's in focus? Does that say anything??
Thanks again, I woudl also like to thank those fine people who put this forum site together if it wasn't for this site I'm not sure what I would have done if I had to rely on the Astronomy stores in my region!
Clear skies,
George C.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins