Back to Home

General Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Misc. Topics | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
High Mag. Focusing, What To Do?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by George on June 28, 2002 08:22:28 UTC

Hello,
I've owned an 8" Newt. f/5 for a year now and own two EP's for it as well a barlow.
- Celestron Ultima 35mm
- Meade 9.7mm Super Plossl
- Celestron Ultima Barlow

I've had no problem with the Ultima, although I'm aware that at low mag. almost any eyepeice will look sharp. The problem occurs when I use my 9.7mm. Without the barlow it gives me 102X which I'm able to focus fairly well but there always seems to be a "hazy" look to objects, and this is obviously degenrated further by the barlow. My optics are collimated as far as I can tell, seemingly good diffraction pattern, a bit of astigmatizim. I was just wondering if there might be something wrong with my scope which I haven't thought of checking and it might help to include that I do wear glasses, hence the reasoning for the 35mm which gives excellent eye relief, but I must take my glasses off for the 9.7mm, but I have read that the scope focusing should compensate for the perscription glasses.
Please I have seemed to have tried everything and it has all ended in frustration!
What should I expect at such a magnification as 204X with an 8" Newt.??
Please, I'm open to advice or just personal anicdotes to make me feel as thought I'm not the only one!
Thank you in advance,
Clear Skies,
-George C.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins